Friday 15 January 2010

Hello Again

.
Yes, I've been away for a while, but now is the time for new drawings, new words, new things.
I had a hectic time towards the end of the year, largely due to a dissertation that needed to be finished. Christmas was good though, and I've had a proper rest and feel quite fresh. I spent last week in Amsterdam and got myself a little Moleskine, the Japanese album style, which folds out like an accordion. I'm going to try and do something special with that format eventually, but for now I'll show you guys some drawings I did. It's mostly stuff from the Rijks Museum. Here we go:
.
This is drawn from a 17th century painting. The man is Jan Valckenburgh, director general of the dutch West India Company, which traded in in gold and slaves. The portrait was painted by Daniel Vertangen. The other figure was a doll in a dollhouse.
.
This lady's name was Maria Van Strijp. My friend Georgina and couldn't quite read her facial expression. Is she stifling a laugh or about to cry? I was trying to capture this ambiguous quality in her face. The artist was Johannes Cornelisz Verspronck (17th century)
.
The front of a giant model of a ship. More precisely, an english man-of-war called The Prince Charles. (17th Century)
.
.
This double portrait of my friend Shannon is not from the Rijks. (21st century)

No comments:

Post a Comment