Sunday 26 April 2009

I Don't Know What This Means But It Means Something

.
.
This is also a product of my recent intense sketchbooking phase. I went back to a lot of old pages and filled them in with pretty random images. I'd use photos from books and off the internet and just draw whatever appealed to me. It feels like a kind of collaging. Once a few different characters/objects have been added, meanings and narratives begin to form and then I just go on fleshing out and enhancing whatever story is in there. Sometimes it's more a feeling than an obvious story but that's ok. Here, for example, I began with an old sketch from a photo of Patricia Highsmith smoking. Then I added the rest, improvising some patterns and colours. I like to imagine that this picture is a story. But what is it about?

No comments:

Post a Comment